Moving home is a big step for anyone; whether you’re upsizing, downsizing, switching from a rental to get the keys to your very first owned property, or any other variation. Moving home is a big undertaking and takes a lot of prep.
In addition to notifying Royal Mail that you’d like your mail redirecting, you’ll need to hire a removal company to shift that super king-size bed you definitely needed at the time of purchase. This is also the perfect opportunity to have a declutter of all the belongings that you’ve uncovered after years of collecting dust.
But what happens if you’re going to have an interim period where you’re not in your old property, nor have the keys to your new one?
Finding Your Short-Term Housing when In-Between Homes
Some of us are fortunate enough to have family and friends that we’re able to stay with for a few weeks or months at a time while we wait for our new property purchase to go through. But others may need to look at other options, especially when moving for work to a new location where relatives or friends may not be around to help.
It’s important to look at the various options that are open to you ahead of time to make sure that you are prepared for the upheaval:
- Short-term rentals are often available on property search sites or with a quick Google.
- Vacation rentals are another good option, if you’re only planning on staying for a week or two, especially as they’ll come furnished; this way you won’t need to worry about unpacking everything just to pack it up again. Sites such as Airbnb usually have a host of listings around the North West.
- Hotels or B&Bs are another good option for those who only need to stay somewhere for a couple of days. There are also hotels designed for extended stays, making them cheaper per night than you might be able to find with romantic getaway hotspots.
Once you’re confident that you have somewhere to stay while you’re waiting for a set of keys to your new home, it’s time to consider what to do with all of your stuff (unless you’re lucky enough to have a friend whose house is big enough to accommodate your three-piece-suite, dining set, bed, wardrobes and all your other furniture!
What to Do with Your Belongings and Where to Store Them
A cost-effective and convenient option hiring a storage unit for the period of time you need. With a range of offers available from Smart Storage, you may be surprised at how little storing your items can cost.
How Much Storage Space Do You Need?
Using our storage space calculator, you’ll be able to get a rough idea about how much space you will need during your gap in accommodation.
As a rule of thumb, the following unit sizes are equivalent to each of the housing options you’re likely to be moving out of:
- 50sqft – One Bed Flat
- 75sqft – 2 Bed Flat/House
- 100sqft – 2-3 Bed Flat/House
- 125sqft – 3 Bed House
- 150sqft – 2 Bed House & Shed
- 175sqft – 4 Bed House
- 200sqft – 5 Bed House
What to Look for From Your Storage Provider
When storing your items with a third party, you want to make sure that your belongings are safe and secure with the accessibility and storage options that suit your needs.
Here at Smart Storage, our domestic service provides you with the following:
- Flexible terms from two weeks, with the option to extend your stay as you need – perfect for anyone who doesn’t yet have a new move-in date.
- 24-hour security system, including individually-alarmed units, to keep your most important possessions safe.
- Exclusive access to your unit, meaning only you will have the key and access code to your belongings.
- No reservation fee and a lowest price match guarantee.
- A personal and friendly on-site team to answer all of your questions.
Booking Your Storage Unit
Once you’ve decided on your storage provider, it’s just a matter of deciding on the location and booking the right amount of space.
If you’re moving to the capital of Lancashire, you may be interested in getting a quote for our self-storage in Preston. But wherever you’re headed in the North West, we have a storage facility near you – just find them on our locations page.
With Smart Storage, finding out how little you can book your storage unit for is as easy as getting an instant quote online, allowing you to work on the really important stuff while you move home.